What Planning is Needed?
There are three related planning exercises in the Operational Planning Stage:
- Operational Plan: This contains the details of the operation. It covers two important aspects:
- Design details – the methods, timing and sequences of the eradication or control operation.
- Logistical details – matching your design with getting the right people and equipment in the right place at the right time.
- Biosecurity Plan: Planning the prevention, surveillance and incursion response activities to protect the investment you are making in doing the project and prevent new invasive species arriving and becoming established on the site(s).
- Monitoring Plan: Planning how and when to measure the success of the project in relation to your goals and objectives.
Why Prepare an Operational Plan?
Invasive species management operations can be complex and difficult. Things that are planned well tend to go well.
There will be many activities that need to be completed before you are ready to undertake the operation, for example: trials, ordering materials/supplies, training, planning Biosecurity and Monitoring and much more. Many of these activities will need to be completed before others can start. By completing the Operational Planning Stage you will ensure that all required tasks are completed at the correct time.
The benefits of Operational Planning:
- Minimises the risk of failure
- Ensures nothing is forgotten
- Allows for a meaningful, external review of the operation
- The Project Manager and team will be fully prepared when Implementation and Sustaining the Project Stages are started.
Who Should Be Involved?
- Prepares the Operational Plan, Biosecurity Plan and Monitoring Plan.
- Provide input as required by the Project Manager (includes Subject Matter Experts providing input on key aspects of the project, e.g. technical, cultural and political).
Independent Technical Advisor:
- Consulted during the planning process and notified of the final plan.
- Reviews the Operational Plan, Biosecurity Plan and Monitoring Plan.
- Provides expertise as required by Project Manager