4. Operational Planning
What Planning is Needed?
There are three related planning exercises in the Operational Planning Stage:
- 1. Operational Planning: This is planning the details of the eradication operation. It covers two important aspects:
- Eradication design – the methods, timing and sequences of the eradication operation.
- Logistical planning – matching your design with the right people and equipment in the right place at the right time.
2. Biosecurity Plan: Planning the prevention, surveillance and incursion response activities to protect the investment you are making in doing the eradication and prevent new invasive species arriving and becoming established on the island(s).
3. Monitoring and Evaluation Plan: Planning how and when to measure the success of the project.
Why Prepare an Operational Plan?
Eradication operations can be complex and difficult. Things that are planned well tend to go well.
There will be many activities that need completing before you are ready to undertake the eradication operation, for example: trials, bait to order, training, planning Biosecurity and Monitoring and much more. Many of these activities will need to be completed before others can start. By completing the Operational Planning Stage you will ensure that all required tasks are completed at the correct time.
The benefits of Operational Planning:
- Minimises the risk of failure
- Ensures nothing is forgotten
- Allows for a meaningful, external review of the operation
- The Project Manager and team will be fully prepared when Implementation and Sustaining the Project Stages are started.
Who Should Be Involved?
Project Manager: Prepares the Operational Plan, Biosecurity Plan and Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
Project Team: Provides input as required by the Project Manager (includes Subject Matter Experts providing input on key aspects of the project, e.g. technical, cultural and political).
Stakeholders: Consulted during the planning process and notified of the final plan.
Independent Technical Advisor:
- Reviews the Operational Plan, Biosecurity Plan and Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
- Provides expertise as required by Project Manager.